17 Fun Things to Do in Denver in Winter (Something for Everyone!)
If you’re looking for things to do in Denver in Winter, you’re in the right place! In this article, we’re going to share the best of winter in Denver, including outdoor adventures, holiday celebrations, relaxing experiences, family-friendly activities, and more.
Related read: A Daily Checklist to Help You Beat the Winter Blues
What do you do in Denver in the winter?
There are so many fun, unforgettable activities in Denver during winter. From ice skating and winter events to a rejuvenating spa day experience to unique holiday experiences, there’s something for everyone all winter long!
Here’s a quick list of things to do in Denver in Winter. We’ll share more details below!
- Go ice skating at the Downtown Denver Rink.
- Visit the Denver Botanic Gardens for a winter event.
- Attend a wine event at The Infinite Monkey Theorem.
- Enjoy winter on the rocks at Red Rocks.
- Warm up and relax at The Beer Spa. (perfect for friends & couples!)
- Enjoy local craft beer on a heated patio.
- Attend the National Western Stock Show.
- Go snowboarding at the Ruby Hill Rail Yard. (a free activity!)
- Explore Denver Union Station.
- Experience Winter Wanderland at Cherry Creek North.
- Taste beer at the Denver Winter Brew Fest.
- Participate in Snow Days at the Children’s Museum of Denver. (a kid-friendly experience!)
- Satisfy your sweet tooth at Temper Chocolates and Confections.
- Take a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Go to the Denver Zoo for Zoo Lights.
- Shop and enjoy the holiday season at 16th Street Mall.
- Celebrate the new year at a NYE event. (so many options!)
1. Go ice skating at the Downtown Denver Rink.
One of the most exciting things to do in Denver in winter for anyone is ice skating at the Downtown Denver Rink. The rink is located in the large Civic Center Park for the winter, beginning at the end of November.
While the rink is free, you can rent skate gear if needed. You can also find food and drinks available on-site.
2. Visit the Denver Botanic Gardens for a winter event.
While the Denver Botanic Gardens is beautiful and fun to visit all year, winter offers a unique experience at the gardens. With various winter events like the Trail of Lights, you can appreciate the holiday season from mid-November until the beginning of January at the Denver Botanic Gardens.
3. Attend a wine event at The Infinite Monkey Theorem.
The Infinite Monkey Theorem is a local winery with delicious beverages. And in winter, the winery holds several special events, like comedy nights, a wreath-making workshop, a holiday party, and more.
4. Enjoy winter on the rocks at Red Rocks.
One of the best winter wonderland things to do in Denver in winter is hanging out at Red Rocks. As it cools down and shows subside for winter, Red Rocks Amphitheatre offers a relaxed vibe and few crowds. This makes for the perfect time to explore the park and visit various sites around Red Rocks.
5. Warm up and relax at The Beer Spa.
If you’re looking for the perfect way to relax this winter in Denver, look no further than The Beer Spa. This award-winning unique day spa offers an incredible experience where you can rejuvenate with beer-inspired treatments and enjoy local craft beer (and other beverages). And you can warm up with a bubbly beer bath!
Along with their standard spa day packages you can enjoy any day, The Beer Spa is also offering a New Year’s Eve and Valentine’s Day package this winter.
6. Enjoy local craft beer on a heated patio.
If you’re interested in enjoying delicious craft beer this winter in Denver, you’re in luck! As a beer hotspot, there are endless breweries, many of which have a cozy heated patio. A few of these are Great Divide Brewing Barrel Bar, Odell Brewing (in Five Points), and Wynkoop Brewing Company.
7. Attend the National Western Stock Show.
The annual National Western Stock Show is one of Denver’s most unique winter events and takes place every January. Its mission is to invest in future generations with livestock and equestrian education, innovations, entertainment, and competition. This event is great for youth and adults!
8. Go snowboarding at the Ruby Hill Rail Yard. (it’s free!)
Snow sports are one of the go-to things to do in Denver in winter. Snowboarding at Ruby Hill Rail Yard is a fantastic way to participate in this. This ski resort usually opens for guests in early January and offers opportunities for various skill levels. Best of all, you can enjoy your experience at no cost!
9. Explore Denver Union Station.
The Denver Union Station, also known as “Denver’s Living Room,” is a historic landmark located in the vibrant lower downtown area. It’s the ideal place to warm up, shop, and dine during winter. There are also various events, including a pop-up cocktail bar and a light show.
10. Experience Winter Wanderland at Cherry Creek North.
Winter Wonderland at Cherry Creek North offers the ultimate holiday experience, with close to a million twinkling lights illuminating the entire neighborhood! It begins in mid-November and ends on Christmas Eve. You can also enjoy a holiday market and other celebrations during this time.
11. Taste beer at the Denver Winter Brew Fest.
The Denver Winter Brew Fest takes place every January at the Mile High Station. Guests can enjoy more than 80 beers, seltzers, ciders, and more. There are also food trucks, live music, and more.
*This year, the event takes place on January 28th, 2023.
12. Participate in Snow Days at the Children’s Museum of Denver.
Snow Days at the Children’s Museum of Denver offers some of the best things to do in Denver in winter for kids. Starting in early December, there’s so much to enjoy with real snow for sledding and building snowmen, a sock skating rink, a fire, and more!
13. Satisfy your sweet tooth at Temper Chocolates and Confections.
What’s a holiday season without delicious treats? Whether you want to satisfy a sweet tooth, need a last-minute gift, or want some desserts for a holiday party, Temper Chocolates and Confections is the place to go.
14. Take a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park.
Another incredible way to enjoy a winter wonderland experience is by taking a day trip to Rocky Mountain National Park, about an hour and a half from Denver. During winter, the park boasts snow-capped mountains, frozen waterfalls, and wildlife in the snow. Best of all, there are much fewer crowds at the park during this time!
15. Go to the Denver Zoo for Zoo Lights.
While Denver Zoo is one of the best places in Denver all year, Zoo Lights is easily one of the best things to do in Denver in winter. From early December to mid-January, you can enjoy special sights and activities throughout the zoo, including light installations, ice-carving demonstrations, and craft cocktails.
16. Shop and enjoy the holiday season at 16th Street Mall.
The 16th Street Mall, a mile-long pedestrian street, is located in the heart of Denver. It’s a wonderful place to spend time during winter, where you can shop, dine, and enjoy the holiday season.
The 16th Street Mall also features a holiday festival. This year, the Holiday Festival takes place on December 10th, 2022.
17. Celebrate the new year at a NYE event.
If you’re spending NYE in Denver, you’re in luck! There are so many amazing events, with something for everyone. The opportunities are endless, from a fireworks show and an annual bar crawl to a unique spa day experience and an upscale cocktail party!
Related read: The Best Denver NYE 2022 Events & Activities (Celebrate 2023 Right!)
Things to Do in Denver in Winter: Final Thoughts
We hope this article helped you find a few perfect things to do in Denver in winter. The Mile High City is one of the best places to enjoy winter activities! Holiday events, a winter spa day experience, outdoor activities, and more offer a memorable winter experience.
Start planning your winter in Denver, and book a cozy, relaxing spa day!