Denver Oktoberfest 2022 Guide: How to Spend Your Weekend
Beer-drinkers, music lovers, and anyone who likes to have a good time – the 52nd Annual Denver Oktoberfest is almost here! While this autumn festival was born in Germany, Denver has been hosting this special event every September since 1969.
Below, we’ll share what you can expect at Oktoberfest, Denver hotels for visitors, and other activities to enjoy.
Where is the best Oktoberfest in the US?
While there are several Oktoberfest events throughout the US, Denver’s is our favorite! It’s one of the largest Oktoberfests, with hundreds of thousands of people attending yearly. It’s been around more than many others, so they really know what they’re doing. Best of all, it’s free to attend!
This two-weekend event has been around since 1969 and features authentic and modern experiences. Keep reading to learn what you can expect from the Mile High City’s annual Oktoberfest.
When is Denver Oktoberfest 2022?
You can enjoy this memorable event on two different weekends in September: 9/16-9/18 and 9/23-9/25.
With so much to see and do, we recommend attending as many days as possible. If you’re taking a weekend trip to Denver to attend Oktoberfest, an entire weekend offers an unforgettable experience!
About the Annual Denver Oktoberfest
For over 50 years, Denver has been hosting a one-of-a-kind Oktoberfest. We’re talking beer, food, keg bowling, and more! There’s fun for everyone, whether you’re attending with friends, alone, or with the whole family.
Here’s what you can expect to enjoy at Oktoberfest:
- Competitive Stein Hoisting: Compete to show your strength in a traditional Bavarian competition.
- Live music the whole family can enjoy, including a late silent disco.
- Keg Bowling: Who doesn’t love beer and bowling?
- Costume Contest: Judges will determine the best dirndl or lederhosen costume!
- Long Dog Derby: Bring your Dachshund along to participate in the race.
- Beers and Bavarian food: Sip on Oktoberfest-style brews and treat yourself to traditional Oktoberfest foods like schnitzel and pretzels.
- VIP Beer Hall: With a VIP pass, you can enjoy an all-you-can-eat and drink menu, exclusive cocktails, a game area, and more.
In short, if you like games, music, beer, and food – you’re in for a treat!
As we mentioned, the event is free for everyone! However, you can purchase VIP tickets for extra perks.
Where to Stay
The Denver Oktoberfest takes place in the central downtown area, so there are many convenient places to stay if you’re visiting for the weekend. Our favorite Denver hotels are The Crawford Hotel and Halcyon.
The Crawford Hotel is uniquely located just above the iconic Union Station, Denver’s cultural hub, where you can find shops, bars, and restaurants. This award-winning hotel is also within walking distance of Oktoberfest – perfect for enjoying your time at the festival without a long commute back. Not to mention, the elegant rooms at The Crawford Hotel have cool features like exposed timber and brick.
If you’re looking to stay further away from LoDo’s hustle while still in a popular area that’s close to the event, Halcyon is ideal. Have a blast at Oktoberfest, then head back to the Halcyon for a swim in the rooftop pool and drinks at the hotel bar. We love this hotel because it’s unlike any other, with impressive artwork and next-level comfort.
Other Activities to Enjoy in Denver
When you visit for the Denver Oktoberfest, be sure to explore other incredible activities around the city, many of which you can only appreciate during fall.
The best way to enjoy Oktoberfest and other fun things is to spend half days at the event or split your weekend to enjoy a day or 2 at Oktoberfest and a day or 2 around the city.
Here are some must-see and do things in Denver during Oktoberfest:
- Relax at The Beer Spa. Unwind at Denver’s most unique day spa, where you can enjoy craft beer (including Platt Park Brewing’s Oktoberfest Lager) and beer-inspired spa treatments. Learn more here!
- Treat yourself to Temper Chocolates and Confections. This delicious chocolate shop is one of the best places to satisfy a sweet tooth in the Mile High City.
- Sip wine at The Infinite Monkey Theorem. When you’ve had your fill of Oktoberfest, take a short walk over to The Infinite Monkey Theorem, an industrial chic winery and taproom. We love this spot because there’s so much to enjoy, including wine tastings, a winery tour, and regular events.
- Go brewery-hopping. Denver’s known for its beer and brewery-hopping is a must! There are several great spots just a short walk from Oktoberfest, including Odell Brewing and Great Divide Barrel Bar. Read this article to learn more about exploring Denver’s beer scene!
- Shop for art at the Handmade Colorado Expo. The 15th Annual Handmade Colorado Expo just so happens to fall on the same weekend as the first Denver Oktoberfest weekend (9/16-9/18). Discover fine art, contemporary crafts, live music, and more at this free event.
- Shop for local goods at the City Park Farmers Market. This is one of the best autumn activities in Denver, as you can shop for local produce, handmade items, and more at the most popular park in the city.
- Enjoy a fall cider at Stem Ciders. What better way to round out your weekend at Oktoberfest than by enjoying delicious cider at a rustic cider bar? Best of all, Stem Ciders is a short walk from the festival.
- Hang out in Wash Park. Denver’s beautiful fall foliage starts appearing in mid-September, and Wash Park is the ideal spot to see it! This lush park features flower gardens, 2 lakes, paved trails and walkways, and plenty of space for a picnic.
- Pick apples at Ya Ya Farm and Orchard. About 40 miles outside of the city center is a century-old historic farm that specializes in heirloom apples. The farm offers a unique fall experience and is worth the short drive from Denver!
Enjoy Denver Oktoberfest 2022!
We hope you’re excited to enjoy a weekend in Denver this September for Oktoberfest. This event brings locals and visitors together for a fun time in one of Colorado’s best cities. If you’re traveling to Denver for Oktoberfest, we hope this guide has been helpful for planning your weekend.
You might also be interested in reading: 10 Fun & Unique Things to Do in Denver, Colorado [Updated for 2022]